Sunday, February 27, 2011

My Pattern Stash - Butterick 6426 - Embroidered Layette Set

B6426 Circa 1960  Embroidered Layette Set
One size 1/2 only

This so sweet pintucked and embroidered layette set contains patterns for a long dress (21" length) and cap (A), short dress (18" length) (B), wrapper (C), sacque (D) nightgown with ties at bottom, neck and wrists (E), long slip (F), short slip (G) as well as booties (H) and a bib (I). Views A, B, F, H, & I are embroidered.

Suggested fabrics -
Dress & Cap: Batiste, Crepe de Chine, Nainsook.
Slip: Nainsook, Batiste, Lawn.
Nightgown, Wrapper and Sacque: Crepe, Albatross, Challis, Flannelette, Cambric.
Bib: Muslin, Batiste, Pique.
Booties: Slipper Satin, Crepe, Pique.

One of my most amazing finds, this rare vintage layette set printed pattern (circa 1960), is a favorite sewing project. My copy set me back about $9.00 the envelope is split along both sides and torn in several places. I can tell that this was also a favored project of a previous owner. Pattern piece #2 (the dress front) was shredded from repeated use of a pattern tracing wheel on the tissue and all the pieces have pin hole tears or other such damage from use. Very loved indeed.

To save and use this pattern I implemented my drastic measures procedure. I backed each pattern piece with Fusible Quilters 1" Grid. A good thing considering tracing the pintucks of the dress is what trashed the pattern to begin with. I know there is a collector cringing at what I have done but after this treatment the pattern will withstand several - perhaps dozens - of uses.

If you can pick up a copy of this pattern I highly recommend you do so. To date I have only found this pattern listed on three sites, e-Bay, Buggs Books and Comfort Kraft. The listing at Comfort Kraft is missing several pieces - if you would like copies of the missing pieces just contact me and I will make them for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment